The Boston University Clinical and Translational Science Institute (BU CTSI) Division of Biomedical Informatics helps translational and clinical researchers at Boston University apply biomedical informatics methods and tools to their research. The Division of Medical Informatics is directed by Robert H. Friedman, MD, BU Profile professor of medicine and public health at Boston University and Chief of the Medical Informatics Systems Unit (MISU) at Boston Medical Center. The Biomedical Informatics Division has two principal components – a translational bioinformatics component led by Dr. Avrum Spira BU Profile and a clinical research informatics component led by Dr. William Adams. BU Profile
The Translational Bioinformatics Program helps researchers apply bioinformatics to their research. Our faculty strives to improve the diagnosis, prognosis and treatment of human disease by applying computational approaches that leverage high-throughput molecular data.
The goals of the Translational Bioinformatics Program are to:
- Establish a translational bioinformatics consultation service that offers expertise in applying bioinformatics to translational research
- Establish a facility devoted to translational bioinformatics resources and that supports the computational needs of researchers
- Develop a translational bioinformatics education and training program that enables bioscientists to apply computational tools to advance research
The Boston University Clinical and Translational Science Institute (BU CTSI) Translational Bioinformatics Program includes:
- Avrum Spira, MD, MSc, BU Profile Director of Translational Bioinformatics at BU CTSI
- Marc Lenburg, PhD, BU Profile Deputy Director of Translational Bioinformatics at BU CTSI
- Paola Sebastiani, PhD, BU Profile associate professor in biostatistics at Boston University School of Public Health
- Martin Steffen, MD, PhD, BU Profile assistant professor in the Department of Pathology and Department of Biomedical Engineering at Boston University
- Gary Benson, PhD, associate professor in the Department of Computer Science and Department of Biology at Boston University
- Steven Shen, PhD, research associate professor in the Department of Medicine
For more information please contact Avrum Spira, MD, MSc, Director of Translational Bioinformatics at BU CTSI, at email@example.com.
The Clinical Research Informatics Program helps researchers apply advanced informatics methods and resources to their research.
The goals of the Clinical Research Informatics Program are to:
- Establish a clinical informatics consultation service that provides information regarding the use of clinical data for research
- Enhance resources that provide clinical data, systems for identifying research subjects and tools for managing clinical trials
- Develop a clinical informatics training program that enables researchers to use data resources and informatics in their studies
The Boston University Clinical and Translational Science Institute (BU CTSI) Clinical Research Informatics Group includes:
- William G. Adams, MD, BU Profile Director of BU CTSI Clinical Research Informatics
- Robert H. Friedman, MD, BU Profile Director of BU CTSI Biomedical Informatics Core
- Mitchell A. Medow, MD, PhD, Senior Informatician at Boston University Medical Center
- Shiby Thomas, PhD, MBA, Director of Enterprise Analytics at Boston Medical Center
- Christopher Shanahan , MD, MPH, BU Profile Medical Director at Boston Medical Center ITS
- Jerry Sobieraj, MD, MS, Senior Clinical Analyst, Enterprise Analytics at Boston Medical Center
- Joel Vengco, MS, MA, Director of Ambulatory Information Services at Boston Medical Center
- George T. O’Connor, MD, BU Profile Director of BU CTSI Clinical Research Enhancements
- Howard Cabral, PhD, BU Profile Senior Biostatistician at BU CTSI Biostatistics Core
- Linda Rosen, Senior Research Data Analyst
For more information please contact William G. Adams, MD, Director of BU CTSI Clinical Research Informatics, firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the Division of Medical Informatics, please contact Robert Friedman, Director, Medical Informatics Division, at email@example.com.